于 2019-5-20 23:22 发表
There are many different versions concerning the origins of the name Bukit Batok ,but what is clear is that, according to the Malay language, bukit means “hill” and batok means “cough”.
1. A possible explanation for being conferred the name batok was the cold air in the area that caused coughs and cold.
2. There are several other explanations concerning the use of the term batok. According to one version which can be traced to the Javanese village chief in the tiny village of Gassing, coconut trees grew on the hills in this area, and hence the term batok, the Javanese term for “coconuts”.
3. The Chinese interpretation says that the hills were of solid granite, and hence called batu, the Malay name for “stone” which had been mispronounced as bato and finally batok.
4. However, another interpretation points to the blasting of the granite quarries, which sounded like as though the hills were “coughing”.
5. Yet another version, argues that the hill resembled a skull top and batok could also be construed to mean skull top.
However, these explanations are difficult to verify.
[ 本帖最后由 苏杭 于 2019-5-21 20:28 编辑