|法兰西斯•培根（BACON, Francis, Lord Verulam）, 1561–1626|
• The French are wiser than they seem, the Spaniards seem wiser than they are.
• Silence is the virtue of fools, so... if you are wise, you are fool; if you are fool, you are wise.
阿瑟•巴尔 (BAER, Arthur) ，1886 - 1969
• Do incubator chickens love their mother?
• A good neighbour is a fellow who smiles at you over the back fence but doesn’t climb over it.
• He doesn’t remember any silent days in motion pictures – the director always yelled.
他不记得在电影里有过安静的日子 – 导演常常都在吼叫.
• He had insomnia so bad that he couldn’t sleep when he was working.
• He was born silly and had a relapse.
• He writes dialogues by cutting monologues in two.
• He had reasons for not working; he said your body was only a machine and he was no mechanic.
他有理由不工作; 他说你的身体像机器一样, 而他又不是技工.
• Although it is a far cry from there to here, he laughed all the way.
• She’s generous to a fault – if it’s her own.
她过於宽容 - 如果是她自己的错.
• A newspaper is a circulating library with high blood pressure.
• She used to diet on any kind of food she could lay her hands on.
• It was as helpful as throwing a drowning man both ends of a rope.
• You can always judge a man by what he eats, and therefore a country in which there is no free lunch is no longer a free country.
你可以从一个人的吃相判断一个人, 而由此可知一个国家, 如果没有免费的午餐, 就不能称之为自由的国家.
• He is an adventurer who traces leaky plumbing to its source.
他是个冒险家, 他追踪水管漏水, 一直追踪到它的源头.
• Hello! We heard you at the door, but just thought you were part of the bad weather.
哈罗! 我听到你在门外敲门的声音, 我还以为那是打雷下雨.
• He was a brunnette by birth but a blonde by habit.
• You can take a boy out of the country but you can’t take the country out of a boy.
• It arrived by first-class mail in second-class condition. It is impossible to tell where the law stops and justice begins.
• If you laid all our laws end to end, there would be no end.
[ 本帖最后由 苏杭 于 2021-12-10 10:41 编辑 ]